Friday, March 16, 2018



My notes on grave restoration and research into Commnity Cemetery and it's history <<<

A couple of weeks ago I was on a birding drive around the Refuge when I spied a grave marker in the woods just East of the Blue Heron Marina.  I didn't stop at the time, but last Saturday Donna and I went for a drive and stopped to investigate. 

No signage.  A bunch of markers in a wooded area, many in disrepair and fallen on the ground.  We found dates from 1843 to 1944 but no indication of an affiliation to a church or other organization.

Google Earth showed the cemetery to be within the boundaries of the Refuge, so I gave the office a call to inquire.  The ranger, Brandon, told me that this was the Community Cemetery and that he had detailed information on its history.

More to follow.


No comments:

Post a Comment